Monday, May 4, 2009

Dads turkey hunting season


Hunting turkeys is somewhat of a new thing for our family, we have been able to hunt them for the past 8 years in our area so in the spectrum of things I would not consider us to be experts by any means. My Dad ( Kurt) has had really good luck racking up 6 birds in Seven years of hunting them. Those are great odds considering the first few years we had a very small population of turkeys. Dad has opted to use a muzzle loading shotgun the last 6 years and I don't believe he will ever go back to a modern shotgun. This season dad and my grandpa (Andy) hunted hard but when the weather doesn't cooperate usually the turkeys don't either. They did manage to call a few birds up but they just wouldn't come out of the brush which happens a lot when you are hunting turkeys in the woods instead of on field edges. My one day off for the week happened to be during dads season so we made an attempt to fill that tag, I called two beautiful toms in but again they just wouldn't come out of the brush Dad did take a shot but I think that a sapling took most of the Beebe's and not the turkey. I would have most definitely also taken the shot. Even though dad didn't get one, there is something about hunting turkeys that drives me crazy, and being able to share it with family makes it even better.

Side note: Dad was able to capitalize on a coyote that thought he was going to have an easy meal of our Montana Decoys.

1 comment:

Kurt said...

Nice looking yote,that Kurt guy looks pretty good too.