Monday, January 21, 2008

07 Season Recap

07 Season Recap
Well the hunting season is long gone, and as I look at the thermometer it reads -6. From the sounds of the wind outside, I am sure the wind-chill factor exceeds -15. Now all I can do is start preparing for next year, although, the next season is going to be a lot different than this year I will guarantee. You see, this year I took a layoff starting the last week of October so that I could spend as much time in the woods for the next 2 months. In MN the rut usually kicks into high gear by the first week of November, not so this year. I hunted from Halloween day until the end of the season, and seen minimal signs of a rut. I saw deer, don't get me wrong. I was even lucky enough to tag two does for the freezer, but big buck activity was non existent. I rattled in several one and a half year old deer and passed up a nice one sided 8 pointer, but the deer we obsess over all year were no where to be found. And I'm sure you’re thinking, “Well maybe you don't have any big ones around.” This would be an obvious answer. I might have given that a thought if I hadn't got four popers all on camera a month before the season opened. I haven’t ever seen one of these deer while in a stand. All in all the season was fun. I spent dang near everyday in the woods for 2 months. I learned a lot in that time. I was also able to put some new equipment to the test and give Wilderness Athlete products a try. What a great product! When I was sitting all day during the rut, cold, and windy conditions I would eat 2 bars and have one drink in the morning. Then, at about noon I would have another. I would be satisfied all day long. I can’t wait to try it out in the back country!

No comments: