Sunday, December 28, 2008

Food Plots


It's never a bad time to be thinking about what you are going to do to increase your odds of seeing deer for next year. I started a food plot one year ago and I was able to get half of what I wanted done this year prior to the season starting. This fall Eric and I cleared out the second half. When I say clearing out I don't mean cutting down good healthy trees. We look for naturally open areas in the woods and take out any dead stuff and all of the under brush. To locate these areas you have to do it when everything is in full vegetation because once the leaves die it is hard to tell what will get sunlight and what won't. To get rid of unwanted brush piles we wait till you get a good snow and burn them. We use all of the bigger stuff for firewood. Now come spring all I have to do is come in and till it up and put some lime in the ground and plant it. I am still debating what I am going to plant in this kill plot but I know for sure it will be one of Antler Kings fine products.

No comments: